The Press Democrat, winner of the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for breaking news reporting, is seeking a sports editor to guide digital and print coverage of our local sports scene, balancing it with reporting and commentary on Bay Area professional teams.
We are a locally owned newspaper that values original ideas, authoritative writing and new approaches to covering sports that resonate with casual and die-hard fans. You will be responsible for driving innovation and working with a team of award-winning columnists, reporters and freelancers to engage readers locally, regionally and nationally through the use of online and social media. Experience with editing and managing a team are desired, but we are willing to consider an outstanding reporter who has a strong portfolio and wants to make the transition into newsroom management.
You will be expected to:
- Identify, assign and deliver articles, photos and video for our digital and print platforms.
- Coach and develop a team of columnists, reporters and freelancers to produce daily stories, videos and social media content.
- Identify, develop and execute sports-related enterprise stories that belong on the front page of our print report and drive conversations in our community.
- Edit content on deadline for accuracy, clarity, style and impact.
- Use social media and other audience engagement tools to grow the audience for our pro sports coverage beyond our immediate geographical area.
- Collaborate with other members of the newsroom management team to meet shared goals.
- Uphold standards for quality and productivity.
- Work with a staff adept at using new media to tell stories — such as podcasts, live video, etc. — to further develop those skills and increase competency and experimentation throughout the wider newsroom.
- Collaborate with other departments to produce a once-a-year awards show honoring local prep athletes.
Strong social media skills and online content production skills are essential. Data analysis and multimedia are pluses. The position will involve some night and weekend work. It is based in Santa Rosa, California, an hour north of San Francisco in the heart of Sonoma County’s renowned Wine Country, where vineyards give way to redwood forests and a scenic coast. The region also includes Sonoma Raceway, which hosts NASCAR, NHRA and other sporting events. The region, home to 650,000 people, is an international destination for tourists and produces some of the best food, wine and beer on the planet. Two colleges, along with thriving tech, farm and government sectors make this region of diverse communities a beautiful place to live and a dynamic place to pursue quality journalism.
We offer an opportunity to grow your career at our award-winning family of publications, with chances to contribute to our daily newspaper, website and regional magazine. All have been recognized as among the best in their respective categories, one of the reasons our news products enjoy some of the highest readership rates in California.
The Press Democrat values the contribution of its employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, accident insurance and paid time off.
Additionally, we are committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing.
To apply, please include a resume, a letter describing how you would elevate our local news report and up to six samples of superior work that you have created or directly enhanced to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Sports Editor” in the subject line.
The Press Democrat is an Equal Opportunity Employer