The Press Democrat, a division of Sonoma Media Investments, is seeking a strong, multidisciplinary journalist for our universal design and editing desk in Santa Rosa, California. This candidate must be comfortable designing pages using an InDesign-based CMS, optimizing our Pulitzer Prize-winning journalism for print and digital and making tough news decisions on deadline.
The ideal candidate will be expected to:
- Design pages using an Adobe InDesign-based content management system.
- Help select wire service articles of relevance to our print and online audiences.
- Edit articles for content, clarity, grammar and length on deadline.
- Write or edit headlines and photo captions for print and digital.
Job requirements include:
- Strong writing proficiency and command of English and AP style.
- Experience designing pages, editing, writing headlines, posting content online, using social media and meeting deadlines.
- Proficiency with Adobe InDesign and InCopy; functional knowledge of Adobe PhotoShop and Illustrator, as well as experience using a variety of social media platforms are preferred.
We offer an opportunity to expand your repertoire and advance your career at our award-winning family of publications. Our flagship newspaper, The Press Democrat, won a 2018 Pulitzer Prize for breaking news coverage of the wildfires that destroyed nearly 5,300 homes in our community last fall. We’re a hard-working, tight-knit team that also produces three weekly newspapers, a monthly Spanish-language publication and other special projects. This job will primarily involve working weeknights and one weekend shift per week. Data analysis, multimedia skills and the ability to speak Spanish are pluses.
The position is based in Santa Rosa, California, an hour north of San Francisco, where vineyards give way to redwood forests and a scenic coast. Sonoma County, home to 650,000 people, is an international destination for tourists and produces some of the best wine and beer on the planet. Two colleges, along with thriving tech, farm and government sectors make this region an exciting and dynamic place to work.
The Press Democrat values the contribution of our employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, accident insurance and paid time off. Additionally, we are committed to a drug and alcohol-free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing. Some positions require a valid California State Driver’s License, proof of insurance and reliable transportation.
To be considered, please submit a cover letter, resume and up to six samples of your best design work to email@example.com and include the phrase design desk in the subject line.
The Press Democrat is an equal opportunity employer.