Sonoma Media Investments (SMI) is an independent, privately-owned multimedia company based in Santa Rosa, seeking an Editorial Director to join our team. Formed in 2012 by a consortium of local investors who recognize the value of quality local journalism, SMI is home to the most-read publications and websites in the affluent Sonoma Valley, north of San Francisco.
Each week, seven out of ten North Bay adults – more than 376,000 in total – engage with the many SMI publications and their corresponding websites, including: The Pulitzer Prize-winning Press Democrat (the flagship daily), The Sonoma Index-Tribune, Petaluma Argus-Courier, The North bay Business Journal, Sonoma Magazine and La Prensa Sonoma (the region’s premier Spanish-language newspaper and website).
The position is based in Santa Rosa, an hour north of San Francisco, where vineyards give way to redwood forests and a scenic coast. The region, home to 650,000 people, is an international destination for tourists and produces some of the best wine and beer on the planet. Two colleges, along with thriving tech, farm and government sectors make this region of diverse communities an exciting and dynamic place to work.
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- In conjunction with the Assistant Editorial Page Editor, produce 14 editorial and opinion pages each week, seven days a week, including a four-page forum section on Sundays.
- Researches, writes and edits six editorials each week, including, three to four items for “Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down” feature on Monday or Tuesday.
- Meets regularly with elected officials, educators, government administrators, business leaders and community leaders on issues of local, state and national interest.
- Oversees Community Member program which involves members of the community serving on the Editorial Board for six-month terms.
- Gathers, fact-cheeks, codes and edits five to six letters to the editor each day, seven days a week.
- Publishes a semi-weekly Sunday Forum column.
- Manages all online content related to the Opinion section.
- Manages weekly Editorial Board meetings with full board, which often includes guest speakers.
- Oversees creation and weekly distribution of the Editorial Calendar which includes a schedule of upcoming editorials, columns and Close to Homes.
- During election season, schedules, conducts and oversees research of candidates for local offices including congressional representatives, state legislators, and supervisorial and city council elections.
- Speaks regularly at various service clubs and other organizations in the community including the North Bay Council, Oakmont Symposium, Empire Breakfast Club, Rotary, Kiwanis and Lions Clubs and various panel discussions at SRJC and Sonoma State University. Regularly appears as a guest on KRSO The Drive with Steve Jaxon, talking about editorial page topics.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- Minimum 5 years with a daily newspaper or similar publication
- Spanish language skills a plus
- Strong multimedia skills are essential.
Sonoma Media Investment values the contribution of our employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401K and Paid Time Off.
Sonoma Media Investments is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing.
To be considered please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org and state the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.