Sonoma Media Investments (SMI) is an independent, privately-owned multimedia company based in Santa Rosa, seeking an Apprentice Pressperson. Formed in 2012 by a consortium of local investors who recognize the value of quality local journalism, SMI is home to the most-read publications and websites in the affluent Sonoma Valley, north of San Francisco.
Each week, seven out of ten North Bay adults – more than 376,000 in total – engage with the many SMI publications and their corresponding websites, including: The Pulitzer Prize-winning Press Democrat (the flagship daily), The Sonoma Index-Tribune, Petaluma Argus-Courier, The North Bay Business Journal, Sonoma Magazine and La Prensa Sonoma (the region’s premier Spanish-language newspaper and website).
The position is based in Santa Rosa, an hour north of San Francisco, where vineyards give way to redwood forests and a scenic coast. The region, home to 650,000 people, is an international destination for tourists and produces some of the best wine and beer on the planet. Two colleges, along with thriving tech, farm and government sectors make this region of diverse communities an exciting and dynamic place to work.
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Uses densitometers to assist in setting ink densities to within .04 of the required density.
- Registers plates for multi-color, spot color and black to within one dot row.
- Performs duties described as “make-ready” in a competent manner as per established procedures as directed.
- Drives forklift to transfer newsprint from warehouse inventory to stripping station for processing into the roll laydown area.
- Accurately counts, weighs or measures material. Records newsprint rolls consumed as required by established procedures.
- Maintains minimum paster success rate of 98%; web breaks from all causes not to exceed 3 per 100 rolls run.
- Stores and shelves parts and materials according to inventory procedures.
- Lifts rollers, press parts, ink canisters and buckets, roll butts and various other job related items.
- Reaches overhead to perform various necessary duties, such as plating deck units, webbing press, make reel adjustments and settings, and miscellaneous overhead cleanup duties as required.
- Pushes newsprint rolls on roll carts, 55 gallon drums of liquids on drum dollies and loaded roller racks.
- Climbs stairs and ladders to gain access to press decks and platforms to perform job related duties.
- Enters required information to complete records, logs, time cards and other report forms.
- Must be available to work all shifts, including nights and weekends.
Sonoma Media Investment values the contribution of our employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401K and Paid Time Off.
Sonoma Media Investments is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing.
To be considered please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org and state the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.